My Pretties

The Gods

quotes Destini likes

Vain - Fisher Amelie This is by far one of the my favorite reads of 2013.

Sophie Price is... vain (hence the title). She has no care in the world, except for what she wants, and does anything and everything to get there. She has used every single person she has surrounded herself with and only has one true friend. She spends her days being the dutiful daughter and her weekends partying and doing drugs.
When she gets caught doing drugs a second time, she's sentenced to six months in Africa to volunteer at an orphanage.

I loved how different the book started out. Even the blurb was unique. We didn't get the "I'm so vain and only care about myself, but the instant I met him and the heavens shined down on me and I became the selfless person I always knew I could be." She was selfish and she knew it. The world revolved around her.

I abandoned myself to every whim I felt. Every want I fulfilled and every desire was quenched. I wanted for nothing.

Things start to change when she goes to Africa. She meets Dingane/Ian and they have an... interesting first meeting. She was so accustomed to guys tripping over themselves for her, that when her didn't, it took her off guard. The orphanage was something that also took her off guard. Amelie Fisher doesn't hesitate to show you the really frightening and painful side.

Ian "Dingane" Aberdeen was incredible. I loved that he played the whole "I really don't like you" card, but still did really sweet things (like with the bugs). He was so sexy and confident, but at the same time he was... cute? Innocent? I really can't find the right word. We also learn about his life and it was amazing to see how well he could relate to Sophie.

This is a love story, so they do fall in love but it wasn't easy getting there. There were beautiful moments, sad moments, and there were laugh-out-loud moments and I loved reading every word.

"I was not staring at you," he told his plate.
I leaned over. "Did you hear that, Dingane's lunch? He was not staring at you."
He looked up at me crossly. "I was not staring at you."
"I never said you were."
"I was merely explaining that Henry was exaggerating. I did not stare at you."
"Okay," I stated, implying in my tone that he was doing just that.
"I didn't. I-I wasn't"
"I believe you," I told him.
"I may have looked at you a few times to make sure you were doing your job."
"Oh, I see then."
"But I certainly wasn't staring."
"We've established that you were not staring."
He breathed deeply a few times, his eyes burning into mine. "Good."
He'd definitely been staring.

Little by little he slowly brought down her shields. He helped her open up and break that wall she always kept around her heart.

"Fear, sadness. They're not weaknesses. They are overpowering, defining emotions. They make you human, Sophie."

The orphanage plays a big part in the story and it was heart breaking. These kids found hope where there wasn't much to me found. They laughed, sang, and played in the water. There living conditions made me cringe and yet, they found reasons to smile.

"And what is there to be joyful about?
"Life, Sophie. They still live. They breathe, they love each other, they find joy in the world around them for no other reason than because they are children. They are resilient. They will always rise above. Always."

There was a short but incredibly sweet ending that brought a huge smile to my face.

"The shortest distance between two points is the line from me to you."