My Pretties

The Gods

quotes Destini likes

Ten Tiny Breaths - K.A. Tucker A hissing sound...
Bright lights...
Blood...
Water, rushing over my head. I'm drowning.

I’m falling.
Falling backward into the deep, dark water. It’s pouring over me, into me, through my mouth, up my nose, filling my lungs, seizing my will to breathe, to live.

“Just breathe.
Ten tiny breaths… Seize them. Feel them. Love them.”

Kacey Cleary’s life fell apart during a drunk-driving accident. She turned to drugs, alcohol, and sex. Now, clean of all that, she’s turned to being comfortably numb. The only person she has left is her younger sister, Livie, and when their uncle almost molests her, Kacey decides it’s time to pack up and get away.
They make it to Miami where the two sisters move into a new apartment, right next to Trent Emerson. He’s the one person who can cut through her defenses, and makes her feel again. But Kacey isn’t the only one who’s damaged and Trent’s past could very well tear them apart.

Before Kacey died four years ago and all that’s left is a mess. A mess who spent a year in rehabilitation to repair he shattered body, only to be released with a shattered soul.

Ten Tiny Breaths much more deep than I thought it was going to be. It really showcases forgiveness, being able to forgive yourself, and forgive others.

“What does it mean?”
“Forgiveness.”
“What?”
“My ink. That’s what it says.”
“Oh,” I exhale slowly, my fist balling up to stop my hands from trembling. “Why do you have that on you back?”
“Because forgiveness has the power to heal.”

I thought Kacey was the perfect character because she was so set in her ways. She was going through the motions of living, smiling at the appropriate times, laughing when jokes were told, but never connecting. She made sure everybody was kept at arms length so she could keep herself from caring. There was so much pent-up anger and hatred that it was beautiful when she could finally let everything go.

“Isn’t it exhausting?”
“What?”
“Keeping everybody out.”

Trent was absolute perfection. When Kacey tried to ice him out, he just pushed his way in further. When she hurt him, he set his pain aside and focused on her. The fact that he was also damaged as well made me feel for him even more. You knew his feelings were genuine right from the beginning. There was something about him that was so sweet and vulnerable one second but then he could easily be smolderingly sexy the next.

“I want to make you smile. For real. Always. We’re going to go for dinners, and see movies, and walk on the beach. We’ll go hand gliding, or bungee jumping, or whatever you want to do. Whatever makes you smile and laugh more.” His fingers toy with my bottom lip. “Let me make you smile.”

About 40% into the story I started putting two and two together and was able to figure out what the big secret was. I thought it was a bit predictable but it worked with the story. I don’t believe Kacey would have been able to truly heal without that twist. And Kacey also needed to change to have a successful, happy life. She needed to take time to focus on herself and alleviate all her pain before she could move on.

“I’ll make you whole again, Kacey. I promise you, I will,” he whispers.

There’s a great ending that also brings all the amazing side characters in.

“Forever’s a long time.”
“Forever’s not long enough when it’s with you.”