My Pretties

The Gods

quotes Destini likes

Killing Sarai (Killing Sarai, #1) - J.A. Redmerski
“I am not your hero. I am not the other half of your soul who could never let anything bad ever happen to you. Trust your instincts first, always and me, if you choose, last.”

Victor

Sarai

Wow!! What a freakin’ read. I haven’t been this surprised and on edge since I read [b:Consequences|12368985|Consequences (Consequences, #1)|Aleatha Romig|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1350233855s/12368985.jpg|17349258].

An American slave.
An American assassin.
“It is not my business to interfere.”
“Then what is your business?” I ask with a trace of distaste. “To murder people in cold blood?”
“Yes.”

Sarai knows Victor is her only hope for escaping the compound she’s been forced to live in for nine years. But he’s a cold-blooded killer, and as they say, out of the fire and into the frying pan.
Despite his emotionless mask, Sarai knows there’s something more to Victor and she slowly gets him to open up.
They begin to trust each other and with that comes attraction.
But Victor may not be able to keep her alive.

I was a tad annoyed by Sarai in the beginning. She was reckless and at times I just wanted to throttle her. She was trying so hard to stay alive but she was constantly putting herself in danger.
There were times I understood because she didn’t want anybody to die for her or be harmed because of her actions, but when Victor says "stay in the bathroom"… you stay in the freakin’ bathroom!! He left you in there for a reason!
I started to like her more towards the end, especially when she when she decided to go with Victor to his next “job”.
I liked how confident and sure of herself she was. You could see she had a tougher skin than most because of what she went through, but she didn’t let it turn her into a monster.

I loved Victor!! He was described as cold-blooded, but I didn’t really get that vibe. There was something different in the way he would talk and act with Sarai.
One thing I admired was how he was with his brother, and vice versa. They were loyal and always protecting each other.

Their relationship progressed slowly, but there was always an underlying current of attraction between them. They were such an odd pair but I loved how they were together.
“… you did something else that no one else ever could.” His features soften and my heart is slowly melting. “You made me feel real emotions. You unlocked me.”

After reading about 53% of the book, I gave up trying to guess what would happen because there were so many twists and turns I didn’t know which way was up and which way was down.
One of the things that really made me like this book was the unpredictable storyline.

There was a cliffhanger that wasn’t a bomb to my brain but definitely leaves you wanting more.

“This goes against everything that I am, Sarai,” he says then kisses me.
“No, it doesn’t,” I whisper and kiss him back. “It’s you becoming more of who you really are.”